The Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes
The Platform of European Memory and Conscience, the Institute of National Remembrance – Commission for the Prosecution of Crimes against the Polish Nation, the Warsaw Rising Museum and the Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes in Prague are organizing an international conference “Modern Forms of Commemoration of Totalitarian Genocide Places” which will be held on 14-15 May 2013 in Warsaw...
A bilingual Czech-Russian edition of short stories and commemorative texts by former Russian prisoners which shows the life in the Soviet concentration and labour camps known under the acronym GULAG. The collection is complemented by a selection from the memoirs of the Czech prisoner Jan Bačkovský, which prove that also people of other nationalities were imprisoned in these camps. This book, containing texts with an exceptional informative value, has been published jointly by the National Library of the CR – Slavonic Library, the Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes and the Moscow society Vozvrashchenie.
The new issue of magazine „Memory and History“ (1/2013)
The main theme of the latest issue of our magazine is the Scouting in the Czech Republic (1948 - 1989). The magazine including study by Jan Kalous related to air accident over Poland, where Minister of the Interior Radko Kaska tragically died with other members of czechoslovak delegation.
The general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union L. I. Brežněv by Petr Blažek focuses on soviet delegation visit in Czechoslovakia in the year 1978...
Functions of the Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes
- Studies and impartially evaluates the time of non-freedom and the time of Communist totalitarian power; examines the anti-democratic and criminal activity of state bodies, especially its security services, and the criminal activity of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia (KSČ), as well as other organizations based on its ideology.
- Analyzes the causes and methods of liquidation of the democratic regime during the time of Communist totalitarian power; documents the participation of both local and foreign elements in support of the Communist regime as well as in resistance to it.
- Secures and makes accessible to the public documents relating to the time of non-freedom and the time of Communist totalitarian power, particularly about the activity of the security services and means and forms of both persecution and resistance.
- Converts acquired documents into electronic form without unnecessary delay.
- Documents Nazi and Communist crimes.
- Provides the public with the results of its activity, in particular by publishing information about the time of non-freedom and the time of Communist totalitarian power, and about the deeds and fates of individuals; publishes and disseminates publications, organizes exhibitions, seminars, professional conferences and discussions.
- Cooperates with scientific, cultural, educational and other institutions for the purpose of exchanging information and experience relating to professional issues.
- Cooperates with foreign institutions and individuals of similar orientation.